Sunday 29 April 2012

Vegetarian Dining in Paris: Not easy to find...

The visit of a vegetarian friend spurs me to fine good veggie eating in Paris.


It's not an easy feat to find restaurants for vegetarians in Paris. A friend of mine was visiting and I set myself to the task to find a place where we would all be happy. I wanted something interesting, after all. My friend and her two adult children are not even fishatarians but google came through with a long list of places to research. I chose Godjo--an Ethiopian restaurant that many people had recommended to me. I had eaten at a wonderful Ethiopian restaurant in Nashville, so the thought of trying Godjo was pleasing to me too. Although they take reservations but don't honor them, and although we waited for about 45 minutes for a table, the evening was balmy so we didn't mind standing outside and chatting. This is what we had when we finally sat down and ordered. And it was great

The name of the dish is Ye Tsom--the house specialty for vegetarians. You can also get it with pork or chicken. It comes with a sampling of all the very flavorful vegetable dishes on the menu: eggplant, roasted red peppers, spinach, green beans, chick peas, fava beans, lentils, avocado, etc. Each vegetable is cooked soft and mixed with a variety of herbs and spices resulting in different interesting flavors. You eat this all with spongy bread that is not flavorful but has a wonderful soft texture. We all thought that for the price, the restaurant was well worth the wait. The quarters are cramped and there is an even smaller room downstairs. But there is always a line, and that means good eating.

No comments: