Sunday 18 August 2013

Searching for the Best Lobster Roll in Massachusetts and in Manhattan too

B and G Oyster, Boston, The Squealing Pig, Provincetown, and the Lobeter Place, Chelsea Market Manhattan

On a pouring Friday afternoon, I went off to B and G Oyster, Barbara Lynch's latest restaurant in Bay Village. Lobster is expensive now but this place is over the roof. I sat at the bar, had a nice glass of crisp white wine and actually had an appetizer of lovely fiddlehead ferns.


Since I was in an oyster house, I had to order oysters. They were extrememly fresh and flavorful: 2 Wellfleet Oysters (delicate and flavorful), 2 Naked Cowboys (meatier)


And the pièce de résistance and reason for my presence there: The Lobster Roll.


This was the most expensive lobster roll except for the one in Paris that I reported about last year (and a lot of that has to do with the exchange rate). The roll was not adequately toasted and buttered and it needed a bit more mayonnaise. The lobster, of course, was excellent. The fries too. I gave it a "B" for the weaknesses I cited.

The next day, in Provincetown, I went with a group to The Squealing Pig. This place looked like a plain diner and I was concerned about ordering anything there. The Bloody Mary's were the best and strongest I ever had, so already I felt I had started on the right foot. This wonderful lobster roll on a toasted and adequately buttered roll was deserving of an A-.


The best lobster roll I ever had was in the early '80's in a shack on Nahant's beach. At that time, we thought they were expensive at $8!

Several months later, I found myself in NYC and went to Chelsea Market where I remembered a lobster stand. The place is now a full-fledged stunning seafood shop and adjoining restaurant. You get the lobster roll at a take out counter and then search for a seat in the market. We were there for a late lunch so there were no seats but we sat on a high baseboard until a table cleared. This lobster roll was superb and as I remembered it. I give it a B+.


Since I am in NY quite a bit these days, I will make a point of coming to this place (at least until my next trip to Provincetown).

No comments: