Saturday 23 May 2009

More Paris tidbits




An authentic Breton crêperie run by Japanese chefs, Italy's best gelateria, a chic brunch at the Hyatt with friends


I went to Breizh Cafe today. The chefs are Japanese and the direction is Breton. It is an authentic Breton crêperie and you will find nothing better anywhere else. I love galettes and crepes and have been all over Brittany for great ones but this is the best. It is at rue Vieille du Temple and rue du Perche in the third arrondissement. Always crowded, it is a good idea to reserve. I had a Breton artichoke galette today with gruyère, ham and delicious fresh artichokes. There is a list of excellent cidres and I chose the 1/2 carafe of house cider--enough for two or three. I always start with their fresh oysters from Cancale and never have room for the numerous dessert crepes. One day I will skip the oysters.... The restaurant serves non-stop from lunch to the early evening.

Grom is an Italian gelateria that originated in Italy. I discovered it in Florence only to find that one opened not only on the rue de Seine, Paris but also on 7th Avenue South near Bleeker in NYC. The ingredients are all natural; the ice cream is smooth and creamy and this is definitely a keeper! It is authentic Italian gelato made from all natural ingredients as opposed to the fake style Italian gelato that Amorino serves.

My friend, Eric and I had a wonderful meal at L'Accolade on the rue Guillaume Tell in the 17th arrondissement of Paris. It is a bit off the beaten track but well worth the trip. Everything is well prepared and presented beautifully. Eric had a delicious fresh grilled swordfish on smashed potatoes and I had de-shelled langoustines on a cheesy risotto. We both started with a lovely refreshing tuna tartare in which the tuna was presented as pieces and not shopped fine. My apple-pear crumble (hazelnuts instead of crumble) with salty caramel ice cream and caramel was superb and the home-made profiteroles au chocolat were addictive. My dentist recommended this place. I can always count on him for a good restaurant report.

Last month, I had a fancy brunch at the Hyatt Vendome with my friends Sophie and Loic. It was a very pleasant and delicious experience. For 75 euros, you are treated to champagne, a vast buffet and one main course and coffee or tea. I had the delicious omelette aux morilles. At the buffet were all sorts of fancy dishes including a superb crème brulée au foie gras, saumon fumé, seafood salad, cheeses, and a wonderful baby club sandwich. For main courses (I had the omelette) there was pain perdu with honey and ham, exotic Spanish ham, and tartare de boeuf among other things. The buffet had a variety of beautiful desserts including fondant au chocolat, tartelettes aux framboises, crème caramel, the classic opera, etc. etc. And we chose a rosé Champagne Billecart Saumon to anoint the meal. It is a lovely event that can be experienced on Saturdays and Sundays.

No comments: